FLY FISHING NEWS & ADVENTURES
fly fishing texas #flyfishing report
Hello fellow fly fishers! Welcome to wherever you are this morning. I hope the drive wasn’t too long for you this morning. Mine was a long commute at about an hour-and-a-half one way, but here we are for another Monday Morning Sidewalk report.
The fly fishing report for Texas is a lot like the report from last week. I do know for sure that the bass feed is on for fall, at least at Lake Amon G. Carter – the Bowie Reservoir section – as of last week. However, it’s always best to take a day off from work and check out your local water for yourself (HA!).
We have a few stories coming your way this week, but if you slept through the weekend, be sure to check out the stories that came out while you were sleeping – there’s a meeting of GRTU on the 25th. as well as a fly fishing tournament in the same area the same day. That tournament has some interesting angles to it; a limited number of participants, a unique location and pretty sweet prizes. The GRTU meeting should be valuable as well; they’ll be going over Guadalupe trout leases and there are some special things going on for Texas Women Fly Fishers, aka. TWFF. In case you were wondering, I am a member of TWFF and that is one active bunch! They also have a very organized information stream that lets members know what’s happening.
Bottom line for this week in Texas fly fishing news: Get to the salt if you can! I received photographs from Port Aransas that I immediately posted to the TFC Instagram stream, some nice spanish mackerel, and have seen images of sizable tarpon from further south along the Texas Gulf Coast.
There are a couple of stories to expect this week:
- Fly Fishing the Pecos River New Mexico Fly Fishing Report From September – including a list of restaurants and miscellaneous recommendations.
- The first ever Night Fly Radio show, a show about music in the old fashion AOR style.
- AND – whatever else comes across from all the TFC resources across Texas.
Don’t forget that everyone doing the paid subscription thing is automatically entered in the YETI Giveaway (see left column for details). By now, my fly friends, who have been regulars (over the last eight years), may be realizing how paid subscription works; just like I said it would – only the costly original content, about fly fishing in Texas, is covered by the “Subscription” umbrella.
This meeting will include a presentation for the 2014-2015 Lease Access program necessary for access to the many wonderful access sites on the Guadalupe River this season.
guadalupe river hill country fly fishing texas holdover tournament
We are back in Texas, and the cool weather has followed us. It’s a great time to be outdoors. The fishing has been great on the Colorado, San Marcos, and Guadalupe. We’ve found a decent number of holdover trout, despite the drought conditions. Bass are aggressively hitting various poppers.
I wanted to take a moment to fill you in on the most recent news in the Texas hill Country.
News and updates from the Texas Hill Country:
1. The Texas holdover Tournament is scheduled for November 8, 2014. This will be a full day event with options of guided float trips, wade fishing, and trash pick up. Please contact me, or New Braunfels Fly Fishers for details.
2. Our annual Learn to Fly Fish event will be held on December 6, 2014. Please contact us for details if interested.
3. We are a booking agent for 3 day float trips on the Gunnison River through the Gunnison Gorge. This allows us to hold preferred dates for our clients. We are currently holding 4 spots for 6/13/2015. The cost for each angler is $1,750.00 (trip details available on request).
4. Last month we donated space for a USGS gauge to monitor water levels at 3rd crossing. The info is now live on the USGS website:
- Please let us know about any guided trips or lessons you would like to book.
- We will also be looking to form a fly tying clinic for those interested.
- The fly shop is open for business, but mostly on an on call schedule until November when Dave arrives for another season.
- The satellite shop at Rio Raft has been discontinued for this season. Thanks to everyone that supported that experiment.
Chris Jackson, Owner/Lead Guide
Go Where The Action Is!!!